Cindy-Marie Leicester, our Senior Consultant (APAC) is currently in Nanjing, China, at the 2nd Summer Youth Olympic Games. Here are some behind-the-scenes photos she has snapped, as the event preparations reach their final phase, with the Games opening on 16 August.
More information about the Games:
- The 2nd Summer Youth Olympic Games will be held from 16 to 28 August 2014.
- The 1st Summer Youth Olympic Games were held in Singapore in 2010.
- The games are open to athletes between the ages of 14 and 18 .
- Approximately 3600 athletes from around 200 nations will be competing at the Games.
- The scale of the Youth Olympic Games is smaller than that of the Olympics, which allows smaller cities to host an Olympic event; potential host cities are required to keep all events within the same city and no new dedicated sports venues should be built.
- The Nanjing Youth Olympic Games are already proving popular with more than 390,000 tickets already sold and events selling out fast.
- The sports contested at the Youth Games are the same as those scheduled for the traditional summer Olympics, but with some adaptations, and a limited number of disciplines spread over 222 events.
- Golf and Rugby Sevens will also be included for the first time in this event, prior to their debut at the Rio 2016 Games.
More photos from Nanjing